Federal disaster assistance for January 2015 storms
Private Non Profit Museums, Libraries, Schools and Colleges in New London, Tolland and Windham Counties, including museums, libraries, schools and colleges may be eligible for federal assistance via the Small Business Administration and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
State, local and tribal government museums, libraries, schools and colleges in those three counties may be eligible for assistance from FEMA.
You must attend a local briefing and you’ll need to meet the filing deadlines. Briefings will be held April 28 to May 1, 2015.
See the following for details:
- 2015 Schedule of Applicant Briefings for FEMA Public Assistance following January storms
- 2015 SBA Disaster Assistance Available to Private NonProfit organizations in Connecticut
For more guidance see:
- Tips for Working with FEMA and SBA for Private Non-Profits
- Tips for Working with FEMA for State agencies, Towns and Tribal Nations
Private Non-profits who operate facilities which provide services of a governmental nature are eligible for assistance under this program. I am including language copied directly from FEMA guidance which represents a partial list of eligible PNPs for your information.
Qualifying PNPs are those that provide education, medical, custodial care, emergency, utility, certain irrigation facilities, and other essential governmental services. Essential governmental services are:
- performing arts facilities;
- community arts centers;
- community centers;
- libraries; homeless shelters;
- rehabilitation facilities;
- senior citizen centers;
- shelter workshops; and
- health and safety services of a governmental nature, such as low-income housing;alcohol and drug treatment centers; residences and other facilities offering programs for battered spouses; facilities offering food programs for the needy; and daycare centers for children or those individuals with special needs (such as those with Alzheimer’s disease, autism, and muscular dystrophy).